Friday, September 18, 2009

Wasatch 100


Well that was pretty fun. Geoff rocked it (see his race report and that of his major competitor, Karl Meltzer) and I had fun being his support crew. I didn't get a picture of Katherine, Karl's support crew and a veteran observer of ultrarunning, but she was great company as we waited for the lead runners to come through. Both Geoff and Karl don't rely heavily on support--and probably would prefer races where everyone just uses drop bags and the aid stations, with no personal support crews. At each aid station I would get one of Geoff's drops bags with his nutrition (basically, cliff gels and endurolyte electrolite pills) stuff and put them in a hip belt with fresh water and electrolyte drink. I'd hand this off to Geoff and he'd give me his old belt and keep running, preferably not even stopping at all.

The picture above shows Geoff's drop bag at Brighton, the last aid station where support crew can go. It includes his night running set-up, with two headlamps, one of which is worn around the waist to better illuminate the trail.

At Brighton, I joined Geoff and tried to keep up with him for the last 25 miles of the race. I made it about 12 miles before he dropped me and kept going. He ended up doing lose last 25 miles (and their ~8,000ft of climbing) is a record setting 4:57. I enjoyed running with him while I could, and being left in the dust, tired and alone in the dark on a famously gnarly section of a famously gnarly 100 mile race, was as good an introduction to the sport as I can imagine. Thanks, Geoff!